Saturday, March 30, 2013

Visiting the Katara

On Friday, my day off, I visited the Katara with some friends.  This is the cultural and fine arts area in the city which also has a large beach on the "Arabian" (what we call Persion) Gulf.  It was a warm day, so we found a Turkish restaurant on the beach boardwalk and sat down in the shade (it is always very comfortable in the shade).  We ate a variety of very delicious foods with fresh, warm puffed up pita bread and I had a "mocktail" of grapefruit juice, 7-up and some kind of fruit - it was called the Sultan's Dream.  It was dreamy.  We walked around for a while and made our way towards the Amphitheatre in the middle of this area.  It was hands down, AMAZING.  I can't wait to attend a concert or performance in the space.  See the photos!  
Entrance to the Amphitheatre


The entire Amphitheatre is faced with White Travertine Marble. 

Stage view of the Amphitheatre from the audience.
View of the audience seating from back of stage area

Amphitheatre hall detail
.


These are gigantic birdhouses on the Katari Site.


Covered Walkways
The water is a very beautiful turquoise color - lighter than the Carribean and Hawaii which I think are a deeper blue.  It is almost like blue crystal. 

This area has a lot of fun buildings connected with these outdoor covered walkways.  It felt very Qatari.  We found the Qatar School of Music and I inquired about renting a cello as I don't want to lose my "skills".  I called today and will go there sometime next week to pick out an instrument.  The most difficult thing will be getting it into my private driver's car.  He drives a Honda Civic.  Should be interesting!  One of the men at the office drives an SUV - I may have to ask Mohammed to assist me on this venture. 



Beach Time with a view of "The Pearl"part of the city!
 












The beach was full of families and most of the women were wearing full veiling. I don't know how they do it!  My friend and I wanted to put our toes in the water to see if it was warm and we learned we needed to purchase a ticket for 25 QAR (about $6.87 USD).  We waited in a long ticket line to be told that there were "too many women on the beach" and we would have to wait.  Also, bikinis are not allowed and they really want the swimsuits the women and girls wear to cover the shoulders and upper thighs (kind of looks like a short-sleeved scuba suit).  Most of the young girls were wearing a swimming outfit that looks like an old fashioned ice skating costume with long sleeves, skirt, leggings and a mock turtleneck. made out of swimsuit material.  I read an article yesterday saying the Qatari females are being treated for a dangerous lack of Vitamin D (which makes sense since you get Vitamin D from the sun).  Enjoy! 

8 comments:

  1. Wow what an amphitheater. This is so exciting that we get to live vicariously through your adventure. It is so pertinent that we learn about this culture in our world today. You are a good teacher Leah. I am just glad I don't have to wear so many layers!! You would think they lived in a cold climate! Interesting about the vitamin D. The bird houses are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found a new apartment in a more central part of town. I can't wait to move in but the current tenant won't be moving out until April 20. So, I have to wait.

      Happy Easter! I am actually attending a Catholic Mass this evening. Should be fun to experience!

      Delete
    2. So happy you have found a new apartment! Too bad you have to wait a little longer, but good things in sight, right? Happy Easter to you too!! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Wowza...that amphitheater looks amazing!! I love the birdhouses too...make my birdhouses look so tiny and inconsequential. ;) I love reading about your experiences, so keep them coming! Missing you here, but know you are having an amazing and interesting adventure!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leah the amphitheater is totally amazing. I bet the acoustics in it full will be super. Thank you for all the updates. I love reading about everything. Their customs are so different. I would love to hear about how a man addresses a woman if they cannot meet eyes? Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The men tend to talk "towards" the woman - it is very awkward for western men, apparently! I find they even do it with me sometimes and don't want to offend. Miss you too!

      Delete
  4. It's too bad you couldn't have a picture of one of these girls in their swim suits! That would be interesting to see!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know! I know! It's rude to take pictures without their consents, but can't you just angle your camera just sooooo.... :-)

    ReplyDelete