Sunday, April 7, 2013

The Souq Waqif

This weekend, I really felt like I was settling into the Qatari way of life and finding my way around this confusing city!  Most addresses are non-existent, and buildings are found by knowing which round-a-bout the location is nearest as well as the various landmarks around it.  For instance, Le Park Hotel (where I am currently residing) can be found by telling someone it is near the "Sport" Round-a-bout and next to the new Wyndham Hotel in the Al Saad district.   Or, it is around the corner from the Al Saad Lulu's (an Arab version of K-Mart). 

I have found and leased an apartment in the Musheireb district of the city, which is much closer to all my favorite parts and in far better condition than the Le Park Hotel.   Directions would be:  It is past the fly-over (overpass) and down the street from the Gulf Paradise Hotel in Musheireb district.  It is a modern, comfortable flat in a secure building and I move in on or around April 20th.  Can't wait to get settled there. 
Chamber Music at the Museum of Islamic Art
I attended a chamber music concert at the Museum of Islamic Art on Thursday night.  It was well attended and very well done.  I spoke with the cellist following the concert, and he recommended a string instrument maker here in Doha who will set up a cello for me.  I called the gentleman (he does not speak much English) and have an appointment with him on Tuesday to see what he can offer.

I find I am getting really good at deciphering different dialects/versions of English here in Qatar (mine being one of them as well), but I do better when I can talk with the person face to face.  I hope this is the case with Mr. Mamoud when I meet with him as I could barely figure out where his shop is located over the phone.  Noussad, my driver, and I are on the hunt!

I visited the Soug Waqif on Friday with my coworkers.  The "Souq" is the historic market bizarre of Doha, although the former Souq was torn down recently and this new "authentic" version was built.  It is really interesting!  There are tailor shops, sweet shops, rug shops, thread shops, shoe shops, and animal menageries with all types of fluffy and scaly critters.  The most fascinating shop to me was the Falcon Souq.  The bird's heads are covered and they sit on perches.  The Qatari use the falcons for sport hunting and competition.  They are beautiful birds!




If you make too many purchases, you can get them wheeled out to your car by a gentleman with a wheelbarrow!

 I will post better photos later - I accidentally left my camera charger in Omaha so it is being brought to me via a co-worker who is coming to Abu Dhabi.  Another co-worker will then deliver it to me here in Doha in the next few weeks.  An international pony express!

Finally, a shout out to my friend, Kathy E. from Omaha, who is here in Doha for some business with the Joint Commission International.  Kathy and I had a wonderful dinner with three other ladies last night.  It was nice to be around a table of women for a change and I look forward to seeing her again on this side of the world!

1 comment:

  1. So happy you are settling-in and learning the directions and dialects. It was so wonderful to speak with you today and am so happy you have found a new flat in which to reside (soon, that is)!! I look forward to reading your blog each week and thanks for painting such an interesting picture. I will be excited to visit you later this year! xoxo

    ReplyDelete