Sunday, April 21, 2013

100 degrees and counting....

Things are heating up here in Doha!  The temperature is rising and the project is getting really busy.  We have our first furniture shipments coming through customs this week.  The site continues to progress, although, like most projects, the client is anxious to see more happening. 

I spent my weekend (actually just Friday) at the Katara.  I wrote about this area in Doha a couple of blogs back, but there was an outdoor art exhibit of local artists, so I couldn't resist!    I also came upon the "Golden Mosque" which is completely faced with gold mosaic tile. 
 The Mosques here are like little jewel boxes and tucked in the most unlikely places.  This one is in such a tight site, it was difficult to get a good photo!
I had a peak inside when the door was open - the interior is an open, beautifully apppointed room with high ceilings and no furniture - just a place to wash the feet and plenty of kneeling cushions.  The front of what we would call the "sanctuary" faces Mecca. 


The art show featured a very mixed levels of artists - there were some excellent pieces, including a young woman who painted only on silk and an older gentleman who only drew is own face in the mirror.  50 drawings of the different angles of his face - but they were very good! 

Anyone who knows me well, knows that I do enjoy the spa treatments, so I am on the hunt for a good spa.  I tried the one here at the Wyndham, which was excellent and the one at the Millenium down the street which wasn't.  I am happy that the Wyndham spa is reasonably priced and not too far from my new apartment! 

This coming week, I am attending my first performance at the outdoor amphitheatre at the Katara.  It should be amazing - it is a dance troupe from Syria performing traditional dance. 

I will also be moving into my new apartment and will send some photos.  It is in a great neighborhood and nearer to my favorite Doha haunts.

I just wanted to send a shout out to Trevor who turned 21 yesterday!  Happy Birthday, Trevor!  We will celebrate when I come home in May!  
Door to the Amphitheatre

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic pics! Love reading your blog so much!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMAZING MOM! Do you think you will be able to learn more arabic while you are there? I am sooo bumbed that I will not have enough time to visit you this summer before I leave! Keeo writing I love to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leah the photos are amazing. As are your posts. So glad you are doing this. It gives all of us a feel for what you are doing and experiencing. Can't wait to see you in May. XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finally have caught up on your blog Leah! Reading in reverse! Very fun and completely fascinating! I love the pics and the personal guided tour. What a slice of life you are enjoying!
    I sent an email to your cox account. Not sure you are even checking that!
    Blog on pretty lady! Miss you every single week!
    XO

    ReplyDelete