Friday, March 22, 2013

Off to Sight See!

Today is my first day off so I have decided to do a bit of sight seeing and get familiar with one of the more picturesque parts of Doha. I will be visiting the Museum of Islamic Art and going to an Afghan Kite Festival in the park nearby.  I have made a reservation to attend a lecture at the Museum this evening called, "Clothes and Fabrics of Turkestan".  Sounds interesting and will fill my day for sure.

I hope to have time to visit the Souq (market) which is nearby.  If not, I will plan that for another day. I think I will have time!

I just received some information about the various traditional women's clothing.  I will write an entry or two on this subject as it seems SO varied.  Some women have their entire bodies veiled while others seem to wear the outer garmet only without any head veiling.  I have deciphered some of it with the help of a woman I have befriended at the office.  She is very open about it with me and has been so kind to answer all of my curious questions.  More on this later!

2 comments:

  1. Wow...these photos are amazing!! Just fantastic. I am excited to hear all about the women's clothing too. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh...would love to go to an Afghan Kite Festival. Hope you had a wonderful time! :)
    *if you haven't read "Kite Runner"...you should.

    ReplyDelete